In 2015 this tournament will be celebrating its 300th anniversary.
It is held every year in the memory of a glorious victory in 1715 of outnumbered defenders of Sinj against a huge Ottoman army. This victory is attributed to the Madonna of Sinj, portrayed on a painting from the 15th ot 16th century and guarded at the local church.
The tournament includes
- knights (with no shining armor, but) in exquisite costumes
- cheering crowds
- marching band and
- an ALKA.
The knights compete against each other by aiming their spear through the ALKA (which is hung at 322 cm from the ground and at 160 m from the beginning of the track) at full speed on horseback. Each part of the ALKA has point counter-value. After 3 races the knight that has the highest score wins or if more knights have the same score they go into play-offs (pripetavanje). The winner (slavodobitnik) gets presents and the glory for the entire year.
What is there to do?
- cheer on the stands during rehearsals in June and August or during Alka weekend,
- take pictures with Alkar spearsmen or their horses or on their horses
- take pictures with Alkar squires
- try to see if you know when srida (3 points) have been won – ask a local to tell you the secret
- treat yourself to an uštipak or some ice cream…
Let us know your impressions!